Sunday, May 21, 2017

Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth - SIBO

On Thursday 18th May, I saw my lovely and wonderful Neurogastro Prof  Aziz a the Royal London. After hearing what had been going on over the past 8 weeks or so and having seen my 'furry' tongue, Prof Aziz diagnosed me with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth, or SIBO. He said this would have been caused by my long-term constipation and structural defects - e.g. the prolapses and rectal Intussusseption. He didn't argue with me that the delay to my treatment has, I believe, almost certainly caused all of this. The delay in my diagnosis, in the belief I still had problems.

He put me on two very strong antibiotics with immediate effect one of which is Ciprofloxacin 500mg and also 500mg of Metromidazole. He felt my abdomen and said it was very tender. He could feel the hernia, but also said there was some sensitive fibrotic tissue as well as trigger points or Acute Cutaneous Nerve Entrapment Syndrome - ACNES.

Prof Aziz said that he would let Prof Knowles and Mr Giordano know the outcome of my appointment today, and I left and went to obtain the antibiotics to start straight away.

One of the biggest clues I had SIBO was in my breath and the fact that last month it had tasted of feces. Basically, in SIBO - bacteria that should only be in the colon migrate to the small intestine and breed there, where they shouldn't be. This makes me very frustrated, despite all my attempts with diet with Low FODMAP, low carbs/sugars, and still I get problems - but if nothing ever empties out of my colon - is it any wonder I have now ended up with this very miserable infection? I certainly feel and now look unwell. Hopefully the antibiotics will take effect before my surgery on Tuesday 23rd May.

Here are my thoughts: https://youtu.be/WVUp2SB4AHw

No comments:

Post a Comment