Thursday, March 23, 2017

The Bladder and Obstructive Defecation


I had problems with a weak bladder ever since childhood, and would at times need to micturate at night up to six times. A cystoscopy in my late thirties showed a bladder of normal capacity, but urodynamic testing showed that I was never utilising my bladder capacity. Pelvic floor work through Pilates and physiotherapy have, over time, improved my bladder capacity. It appears that some patients with hypermobility will have weak bladders, whilst some, in fact, retain, owing to the stretchiness of the tissues [Norton et al., 1995; Tinkle, 2008].

My MRI Proctogram in 2015 in fact showed a cystocele (bladder prolapse) of some 3cm.  At this time the urogynaecologists didn't feel this needed treatment. I think that this is up for review this summer.

I often find I need to pass urine or micturate more frequently because my (loaded) rectum is placing more pressure on to my bladder. I do pass urine, but more often it is also because I haven't completely emptied my bowel. This can happen at night and causes my bladder to be more irritated if my bowel is still not completely empty at the end of the day. 

Here are my thoughts on bladders and obstructive defecation: https://youtu.be/DpOwSMEDC7s via @YouTube 

No comments:

Post a Comment